Code of Conduct
The tradition of our company TŘINECKÉ ŽELEZÁRNY, a. s. dates back to 1839 when it was established. This long tradition of steel-making has shaped its basic values which have been kept until today. Our company is closely connected with the region where it is located and the people who live there. We realize how much influence we exert over the region and therefore, we are fully aware of the responsibility that we bear.
Code of Conduct of Třinecké železárny and Moravia Steel
We follow ethical principles and adhere to legal rules and regulations
- Ethical principles and respect for the law are the fundamental principles of our Code of Conduct and corporate culture.
- Our enterprise is a trading company established and existing under the laws applicable in the Czech Republic. This law or any other law governing our relations is systematically monitored, recognized, respected and adhered to unconditionally and consistently.
- We strive to keep our relations with our business partners, public authorities, our employees and the public long-established, stable and based on mutual respect and trust in just and honest conduct.
- We act and make our decisions in accordance with the principles of employee collegiality and fair trade and also in accordance with the laws and obligations ensuing from legal rules and regulations, decisions of public authorities and the contractual relations in which we participate.
We appreciate our employees
- Respect for human rights is commonplace in our company. We do not incite nor tolerate any acts of discrimination. We condemn any form of forced, involuntary or otherwise illegal work.
- We condemn the abuse of child labor. We employ only persons meeting the statutory requirements established by law.
- We provide specialized training for students of secondary vocational schools on our business premises; we do so under agreement with those schools under special circumstances meeting the requirements of students’ age, knowledge and experience.
- We do not tolerate any illegal work, even among our business partners.
- Procedures and conditions established by law have always been a standard practice in our relations with employees. This also applies to entering into and the content of employment contracts or other labor-law contracts and agreements, working hours, granting time off, working breaks, setting overtime, remuneration, making wage deductions, and termination of labor-law relations.
- Our employees are properly remunerated for their work performance, including extra pay for work in the afternoons, at night, on weekends and public holidays and for overtime. Beyond the law we provide our employees with social and other benefits.
- In relation to our employees, but also in relation to public authorities, we fulfil all our statutory disclosure obligations.
- We respect our employees’ rights, including the right to form unions and bargain collectively. We respect the position of trade unions operating in our enterprise as representatives of our employees and consider them our partners in social dialogue.
- We consistently communicate with our employees by means of meetings and consultations with top management and other senior supervisors, including informing our employees about current affairs via central information boards, notice boards at workplaces, information screens, electronic information system, factory radio and company weekly newspaper Třinecký hutník.
- We welcome questions and comments from our employees for whom are also available company "Comments and Questions" boxes or "Questions and Answers PP" electronic applications.
- Every two years we conduct surveys of employee satisfaction and motivation.
- All our employees are regularly evaluated on an annual base.
- We are open to complaints from our employees or other persons. They are allowed to file complaints, including anonymous ones, and such complaints are addressed responsibly.
We consistently comply with occupational health and safety
- Occupational health and safety is an organic part of all our activities and has the highest priority. We create the best possible working conditions in our company. We adhere to the safety program for prevention of accidents, making sure that every working activity is conducted according to safe working practices.
- We have prepared and consistently evaluated and updated the system for identification and assessment of possible risks to sustain injury at work, also containing measures to eliminate the risk of injury.
- We adhere to prevention. Our employees are consistently educated and informed about occupational health and safety.
- We provide our employees with personal protective equipment according to the list drawn up for each job or position. Employees in jobs with high heat or physical exertion are provided with beverages for safety.
- We consistently provide assessment of our employees’ medical fitness for work by means of occupational medical examinations. We do not allow any work performance that does not meet employees’ requirements for medical fitness.
- If an accident occurs despite our best efforts, we employ our system comprising of providing first aid, reporting and investigating accidents or other unfortunate events, and taking measures to prevent their occurrence and compensate for damages.
We appreciate our business partners
- We treat our business partners as equals and deal with them honestly, openly, fairly and with respect.
- We assume that our business partners follow the same principles as we do. If we discover that it is not the case, we respect their decisions as long as they are not in conflict with legal rules and regulations and do not cause excessive risk or harm.
- We are committed to create value for our business partners. With regard to our products, we implement the principle of constant improvement, increasing their value added, while diminishing the environmental burden. We exercise a strategy of committing no errors.
- We select our suppliers with proper care in order to maintain the quality of our products. We negotiate agreements with our suppliers regarding product quality and assess fulfilment of their obligations.
- We provide adequate supervision of the adherence to working and technological procedures and address any complaints of our business partners. We evaluate the satisfaction of our business partners.
- We would like our business partners to cooperate with us continuously or to restore previous business with us. The success of our business partners is our success as well.
- We adhere to the unity of words and practices; we keep our promises. We promote ethical business culture and comply with our obligations properly, fairly and honestly.
- We are ready to arrange audit with our business partners in our company.
We condemn any manifestations of corruption
- We adhere to zero tolerance towards offering or accepting bribes.
- We strictly encourage our employees to refrain from any act of corruption. In connection with the performance of work for our company, acting on our behalf or referring to our company, nobody is permitted to solicit or accept any services in exchange for granting or promising to grant any privileges, nor to offer or provide such services.
We respect economic competition and intellectual property
- We advocate a free, honest and fair competition. We do not engage in any acts that would undermine such competition.
- We avoid any conflict of interests and situations that may raise the suspicion of such a conflict, including conflict of our interests with the interests of our company. Any business dealings in conflict of interests are possible only if permitted by law.
- We respect the intellectual property rights and interest to protect the confidentiality of trade secrets and other confidential information. We protect these rights and such information within the scope of the legislation, contracts with business partners, consent of data subjects, and business ethics.
- We protect the personal information of our employees and all other persons whose personal information has been provided to us.
- All of our employees, who in the performance of their duties come into contact with personal data, information constituting a trade secret or other confidential information, are bound to maintain confidentiality of such data and information.
We are a socially responsible company
- We fulfil our corporate mission "Together for the Generations to Come."
- We support the region and strive to contribute to further improving the quality of life of its inhabitants.
- Each year we release the Corporate Social Responsibility Report, which is published here and provided to our business partners.
We protect the environment
- Protecting the environment is a fundamental part of our policy. The standard is no less than fulfilling all the requirements of legal regulations and permission granted to us thereunder by the state authorities.
- Our long-term conceptual plan is to strive to continuously reduce the impact of our activity on the vicinity of our company. We remove old environmental burdens.
- To meet the environmental protection principles we have set up and continue to enforce waste management systems wherein we prefer recycling, a system of closed water circuits and industrial wastewater treatment plants, treatment of chemicals and energy management. Further priority is to gradually reduce emissions of air pollutants.
These principles are the basic foundation of our company’s internal regulations, including
- Conditions of Employment
- Social Code
- Technical and Organizational Regulations (TOP) and related internal standards
and are hereby put into practice.
These principles are observed and their compliance in our company is monitored and enforced
In Třinec on 29th of March 2016
Ing. Jan Czudek, m.p., Chairman of the Board, Chief Executive Officer
Ing. Česlav Marek, m. p., 1st Vice-Chairman of the Board, Production Director